Unfortunately some people are more prone to suffering than others (afro Caribbean skin for example) however there are some simple steps you can take to get the closest possible shave and least irritation:
- Shave after the shower not before – the steam helps too raise the hairs away from the face.
- Exfoliate the face – using a scrub before shaving will help to remove excess dirt and away from the ace and leave the skin ideally prepped for the shave.
- Use a shaving brush – again this will help to raise the hair away from the face allowing the razor to do its work better.
- Use a shaving cream rather than a foam and this will get closer to the skin rather sit on top.
- Shave with grain – wherever possible, however everyone’s hair grows differently so follow the hair direction with your fingers first. If you do need to shave again shave across rather against the grain but ensure you re-lather!
- Finish the shave – apply cold water to the face to close up the pores and use a balm to protect the fresh exposed skin – do not use an aftershave which contains alcohol which is why it stings.